blueboy

Cha-La Head-Cha-La

• 12094 posts
Current mood: Balanced
Good Read !

Attached Image: title.jpg
Attached Image: 582650752.jpgAttached Image: 1633179616.jpg
Attached Image: TITLE 2.jpg

Lindsay Lohan’s interest in Islam has been a media staple for months.

The actress of ‘The Mean Girls’ and ‘Freaky Friday’ is hailed by Arab and Muslim media and numerous social media users as some kind of a cultural and religion saviour.

Lohan’s interest and possible conversion to Islam has branched into all sorts of areas of discussion.

She has been brutally criticised by many who have branded her a race traitor, and has been, according to her, ‘racially profiled’ during a recent trip to the United States.

Conflating race and religion is typical of western society wherein cultural appropriation foolishly defines certain religions as western and others as ‘ethnic’, ‘coloured’ and ‘foreign.’

While Lohan is still making up her mind about whether to join the Muslim faith or not, she recently announced that she will be launching a new fashion line.

The announcement on Instagram was accompanied by a photo in which the actress was covering her head and part of her face with a crystals-embellished scarf.

Many, including some in the media, are deducing that the fashion line is that of the modest, Muslim variety.

Concurrently, a most recent death-toll estimate of war-torn Syria has reached a new high. According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights 321,000 people are confirmed dead as a result of the war, while a further 145,000 are still missing.

Sense of false pride

While external powers are responsible for many of these deaths, much of the carnage has been meted out by Muslims against their fellow Muslims.

The sense of false pride generated by the probable conversion of a Hollywood actress is, perhaps, an escape from the grand shame of a bloodbath being perpetuated by Muslims against their own brethren.

But it is more complex than this.

The issue is far more telling than that of Lohan’s faith and is a repeat of previous such collective jubilation and sense of ‘Islamic pride’ wrought by the marriage of Arab-British lawyer, Amal Alamuddin to Hollywood celebrity, George Clooney.

Although Amal Clooney refused to investigate Israeli war crimes in Gaza — possibly to avert an uncomfortable situation for her husband considering his strong Hollywood ties — Arabs continued to celebrate her as if her marriage to the famous actor is a badge of honour and a validation for an entire culture.

Sadly though, the opposite is true.

Such hype over inane situations is an indication of a greater ailment — the continuing western cultural hegemony over Muslim nations.

The issue is not that of religion. Far from being a vanishing religion, Islam is the fastest-growing religion in the world — the only religion growing faster than the world’s population, and one which is slated to be the largest in the world by 2070.

Hence, the enthusiasm over Lohan’s possible conversion should be entirely removed from the religious component of the discussion.

Thousands of such conversions are reported in Africa, South America and Asia annually; numbers that receive little cultural and media attention in Arab and Muslim countries.

Neither is it an issue of celebrity Muslims per se, for there are many famous black entertainers who are also Muslims, yet they rarely register on Arab and Muslim media radars as earth-shattering events.

Symbolic defeat?

While racism might play a role, it is not the dominant factor. The possible conversion of a western, white Hollywood actress is an entirely different story, simply because culture, status and race are the most telling representations of western cultural hegemony. A conversion of this calibre is celebrated as if a symbolic defeat of the very system that has demonised Arab and Muslim culture for generations.

Yet in the process of conjuring up this false sense of cultural triumph, Muslims, in fact, further feed into their own unfortunate sense of inferiority, one that is rooted in hundreds of years of slavery, colonisation, neocolonialism and military occupation.

In his important work, ‘The Prison Notebooks’, Italian Marxist theorist, Antonio Gramsci, speaks at length about the relationship between culture and power. He defines cultural hegemony as the unquestioned rule of an idea, of a person or an entity.

Unlike military domination, cultural hegemony requires consent, which is often achieved through certain tools of cultural manipulation and control. What is brilliantly malicious about cultural hegemony is that people embrace their own subjugation through the process of social conformity, achieved via literature, language and such institutions as Hollywood and its celebrities.

Noam Chomsky and Edward Herman deconstruct how conformity is achieved in the United States in their influential book, ‘Manufacturing Consent’, explaining that through a number of media ‘filters’, Americans are sold the misleading idea of the moral infallibility of their own government.

This is how the idea of American exceptionalism has been nurtured throughout the years. It is neither ‘flatly false’, says Chomsky, nor uniquely American, for every empire in the past has always cloaked its bloody actions under the guise of moral exceptionalism.

Long, tragic history

The relationship between cultural domination and military control is itself rooted in a long, tragic history.

The late professor Edward Said’s critique of ‘The Arab Mind’, by cultural anthropologist, Raphael Patai, proved more relevant long after Said’s book ‘Orientalism’ was published.

Patai’s book — a reductionist study of Arab culture and psychology published in 1973 — became “the bible of the neocons on Arab behaviour” prior to and during the US invasion of Iraq in 2003.

Recommended by Said as a ‘doorstop’, the book discussed at length Arab vulnerability to sexual humiliation, a notion that was systematically exploited by American prison guards and interrogators in the Abu Ghraib prison in Baghdad in 2004.

While Lohan has the right to convert, the false sense of cultural triumph among many Muslims is certainly unsettling.

If anything, it indicates that while many Muslim countries proudly speak of their independence and celebrate the decolonisation of their countries amid song and dance, a new form of cultural colonisation has replaced the physical one.

The work of Kenyan post-colonial theorist, Ngugi wa Thiong’o is pertinent. His ‘Decolonisation of the Mind’ argues that while colonialism attempts to control the world of the colonised — in terms of wealth, labour and resources — it also tries to dominate the ‘mental universe of the colonised’.

‘Economic and political control can never be complete or affective’, he argued, without the mental control, which is acquired through cultural hegemony. “To control a people’s culture is to control their tools of self-definition in relationship to others.”

Muslims who are feeling validated by mere celebrity interest of their religion ought to ‘decolonise their minds’, first by refusing to define themselves and their relationships to the world through the West and its ever-sinister tools of cultural hegemony.

blueboy

Cha-La Head-Cha-La

• 12094 posts
LL on Trump :turned:
Attached Image: LL.jpg

https://twitter.com/...431836761763840  

blueboy

Cha-La Head-Cha-La

• 12094 posts
Attached Image: Screen_Shot_2017-04-10_at_10.58.59_AM.png

Why Lindsay Lohan's burkini has nothing to do with converting to Islam

Published April 10th, 2017 - 09:12 GMT via SyndiGate.info

Hollywood actress Lindsay Lohan's "conversion to Islam" is a work in progress, which could explain her biplor wardrobe choices!

One minute the 30-year-old is flaunting what her mama gave her in gorgeous garb, and the next she's tucking away her bits in a burkini on a beach in Thailand.

Attached Image: 1.jpg

The last thing anyone expected Lohan to do was to wear a burkini, seeing as she shared snapshots from her recent Thailand getaway in a number of colorful bikinis.
Attached Image: 2.jpg

Was it a PR stunt then? Not exactly.

We believe that putting on a burkini could have absolutely nothing to do with what faith LiLo is choosing to follow; it could simply be her way of reaching out to the Muslim community and supporting them during a time when Trump has driven Islamophobia to rise.

And who are we to judge her, anyway? At least the former 'troubled' star has got her life back on track and is trying to find herself through spirituality and meaningful acts of love.

"Studying the Koran is something I found solace in, a religion where I found a lot of peace," she said earlier this year. "I have reached inside and I found what I want my intentions to be in the world... focusing on taking control of what I want out of life."

Lindsay, we salute you!

-------------------------------------------------------

Huffington Post article
Attached Image: huff.jpg

I am not a Muslim woman. But I respected that for that woman, a swim in the Dead Sea meant she had to plunge in completely clothed from head to toe. And so she did.

And so did Lindsay Lohan. But for a very different reason.

For publicity.
source

----------------------------------------------
Albawaba vs HuffPost :argue:

Who are we to judge, right?  

blueboy

Cha-La Head-Cha-La

• 12094 posts
Attached Image: LL.jpg

Among his many detractors, President Erdogan has an unlikely ally – the Hollywood wild child Lindsay Lohan.
The party-loving actress has struck up a friendship with the Turkish leader over recent months, apparently based on a shared concern for Syria’s refugees.

The slew of front pages featuring Lohan, 30, in pro-government dailies would surprise anyone who has followed her decadent life in the tabloids.

In October she was at a camp for refugees, her head tightly wrapped in a headscarf. Later that month, opening her new nightclub in Greece, she repeatedly told a reporter that “the world is bigger than five” – a soundbite Mr Erdogan uses to criticise the five-member UN security council.

In January, a primly dressed Lohan met Mr Erdogan, 63, and…

source

Hmm, good timing :rolleyes: #TheTimes  

blueboy

Cha-La Head-Cha-La

• 12094 posts
Samantha Ronson on LL
Attached Image: SR.jpg

:shifty:  

Joćo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1505 posts
^lol the SamRo era feels like a lifetime ago

fabuLLous fan01

bossy

• 3599 posts
  • Name:dave (50)
Current mood: Cool
you gotta respect SamRo for not doing the ole kiss and tell routine. hate people that do that.

Posted Image

blueboy

Cha-La Head-Cha-La

• 12094 posts
^ True that.

GR8 Woman Award 2017 in Dubai
Attached Image: The 7th GR8! Women Awards 2017 at Roda Al Bustan Dubai Airport on 19th of April. Meet your favourite stars.jpg
Girl Power :flex:  

Gary

An Awesome LL Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
Current mood: Mellow
No need for Samantha to speak out. Her mother & sister both destroyed Lindsay in the press during & after the relationship.

blueboy

Cha-La Head-Cha-La

• 12094 posts
Attached Image: et.jpg
Attached Image: life-size_2.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: Tyra Banks Wants Zendaya to Star in 'Life-Size 2,' Teases Lindsay Lohan Cameo
by Antoinette Bueno 2:50 PM PDT, April 19, 2017

ET spoke with Banks at Freeform's Upfront Presentation in New York City on Wednesday, where she revealed she's actually been working on the sequel for five years. Banks will reprise her iconic role as a doll, Eve, that comes to life, though now Eve has grown up. This time, she's magically awoken to help a young woman learn to live and love again, and along the way, Eve herself will experience the ups and downs of real life.

"Five years, four scripts, and finally we realized, Eve needs to grow up," Banks, 43, tells ET exclusively. "She's been around for a while. She's been alive for a while. She needs to grow up and experience more adult things. So, you're going to see a very different Eve on Freeform."

"I love Lindsay," Banks says. "I have not [reached out to offer a cameo], but I think it would be interesting. I have to talk to my producing partners. I think it would be interesting, right? That was my girl back in the day!"

source

The final script for Life-Size 2 is currently being written, and since it’s so early in the process, Banks said that she hasn’t thought much of casting. But the door is always open for Life-Size star Lindsay Lohan to return for the sequel.

“I would love for Lindsay Lohan to do something,” she said. “Just to pop up for a hot second – she’s got to.”

Shine bright, shine far, don't be shy, be a star. :popcorn:  

Edited by blueboy, Today, 9:05 AM.

blueboy

Cha-La Head-Cha-La

• 12094 posts
-------------------------------------

Attached Image: artigdani#backstage with #lindsaylohan.jpgAttached Image: gulfentertainmentme#lindsaylohan looking soooo good tonight at the #gr8womenawards in #dubai.jpg

Lindsay Lohan, Alia Bhatt rock at Gr8 women awards in Dubai
Arti Dani/Dubai
Filed on April 19, 2017

Lindsay Lohan, Alia Bhatt, Vaani Kapoor, Farah Khan, Iulia Vantur made a star studded entry at one of the most anticipated Middle East awards show, The 7th GR8! Women Awards. The event was held at the Roda Al Bustan. The ceremony which was conceptualised by prominent Indian TV personalities Abu and Shashi Ranjan, honoured 17 women achievers from the Middle East right from Kuwait, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Qatar as well as India.

Salman Khan's rumoured Romanian girlfriend Iulia Vantur performed at the event. &quot;I am really excited to be at the Gr8 women awards. I will be performing on the mix of Hindi and Romanian version of the chartbuster song Teri Meri Kahaani from Indian film Bodyguard. Not many know that the Hindi version is actually inspired by a Romanian song,&quot; Iulia told Khaleej Times before the event.

Farah Khan, who is one of the most celebrated filmmaker from Bollywood, gave a strong statement on the payment disparity issue in Bollywood, &quot;The day female actors movie start making 100 crore, they will be paid similar to their male counterparts. I am a female director but I get paid more than many male directors. That's because my movies do well at the box office.&quot;

When asked if she as a producer pays equally to her crew members, she added, &quot;of course yes, I might pay more to my female camera person than the a male .&quot;

Vaani Kapoor who was in Dubai last year for the promotion of her film Befikre said, &quot;We don't need one particular day to celebrate womanhood. But it feels amazing to get felicitated at such prestigious event.&quot;

Bollywood actress Esha Gupta walked the ramp showcasing the beautiful collection of designer Anjalee and Arjun Kapoor.

For the extensive coverage of the Gr8 women's awards show, please read City Times.

-------------------

Lindsay Lohan honored at Dubai awards show
ARAB NEWS | Published — Friday 21 April 2017

DUBAI: US actress Lindsay Lohan and a host of Bollywood celebrities, including Alia Bhatt, Vaani Kapoor, Farah Khan and Iulia Vantur were in attendance at one of the most anticipated Middle East awards show.

The 7th GR8! Women Awards, conceptualized by Indian TV personalities Abu and Shashi Ranjan, honored 17 women achievers from the region right from Kuwait, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Qatar as well as India.

Lohan, meanwhile, was honored for her work with children, Gulf News reported. The “Mean Girls” star has sought to use her fame to aid child refugees who have escaped from war-torn Syria to Turkey.

Lohan, who has made Dubai her new home, wowed in a white kaftan with gold embroidery. The star’s modest dressing comes as no surprise as she has become an outspoken advocate of Islam after receiving online hatred when she was photographed holding a Qur’an earlier last year.

Farah Khan, a celebrated filmmaker who also won an award, used the occasion to talk about equal pay in Bollywood.
“I am a female director but I get paid more than many male directors. That’s because my movies do well at the box office,” she said.

Vaani Kapoor, who was in Dubai last year for the promotion of her film “Befikre” said: “We don’t need one particular day to celebrate womanhood. But it feels amazing to get felicitated at such a prestigious event.”

more pics here  

Edited by blueboy, Yesterday, 1:22 AM.

fabuLLous fan01

bossy

• 3599 posts
  • Name:dave (50)
Current mood: Cool

View Postblueboy, on April 20 2017, 1:34 AM, said:

et.jpg
life-size_2.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: Tyra Banks Wants Zendaya to Star in 'Life-Size 2,' Teases Lindsay Lohan Cameo
by Antoinette Bueno 2:50 PM PDT, April 19, 2017

ET spoke with Banks at Freeform's Upfront Presentation in New York City on Wednesday, where she revealed she's actually been working on the sequel for five years. Banks will reprise her iconic role as a doll, Eve, that comes to life, though now Eve has grown up. This time, she's magically awoken to help a young woman learn to live and love again, and along the way, Eve herself will experience the ups and downs of real life.

"Five years, four scripts, and finally we realized, Eve needs to grow up," Banks, 43, tells ET exclusively. "She's been around for a while. She's been alive for a while. She needs to grow up and experience more adult things. So, you're going to see a very different Eve on Freeform."

"I love Lindsay," Banks says. "I have not [reached out to offer a cameo], but I think it would be interesting. I have to talk to my producing partners. I think it would be interesting, right? That was my girl back in the day!"

source

Shine bright, shine far, don't be shy, be a star. :popcorn:

Attached Image: ls000_1920x1080.jpg big version :)

Attached Image: llg3.gif  

Posted Image

Joćo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1505 posts
lol Lindsay would prob do it..

blueboy

Cha-La Head-Cha-La

• 12094 posts
^Me Hope so

Fashion Police-ish
Attached Image: melani.jpg

FYI >>ODDA magazine thread<<  

blueboy

Cha-La Head-Cha-La

• 12094 posts
Lindsay Lohan shine at Gr8 Women’s Awards in Dubai
Attached Image: 5957.jpg
Lindsay Lohan walks down the red carpet at the GR8 Women Awards 2017 at the Roda Al Bustan, Dubai

Apr 21 – “People say that behind every successful man there is a woman, but I believe that behind every successful woman there is also a woman,” said Alia Bhatt, as she accepted her award for a path-breaking portrayal of women on the Indian screen at the 7th Annual Gr8 Women’s Awards last night. The event celebrated the achievement of women from a variety of fields and from different parts of the world.

The show began with a fashion show, displaying the work of Sunaina Jain, and actress Anushka Ranjan was the showstopper.

Presenters Avneet Kohli and Ujjwal Khanna kept the audience engaged through their light-hearted banter. As the night went on, the fashion shows, dance and music performances managed to convince the members of the audience to get up on their feet.

All the music and performances may have kept people entertained, but they did not take the attention away from the main purpose of the event – the celebration of successful women and their achievements. Among the women being honoured were Mariam Othman, co-founder and director of Rashid Pediatric Therapy Centre, for her contribution to the field of child care; Zeenat Jaffar, managing director of Z Haus, for the business of beauty; Laila Al Meqbali for versatility in the world of entertainment; Ruqaiya Mustafa Hemani for strategy management marketing; and there was a special mention of Shaikha Hend Al Qasimi for her business endeavours.

The list of awardees also included many A-listers who hoped to inspire women to follow their dreams. “We always say [that] I’m a woman in a man’s world but I think it’s the other way around. You are all men in a woman’s world,” said Farah Khan while accepting her award for choreography and directing. Her message to women was simple, yet important. “Don’t let anyone tell you what you can or cannot do. You can do everything and be everything you want to be.”

While Khan chose to impart words of wisdom, Bhatt thanked the women in her life who had had an impact on her. Expectedly, she thanked her mother for giving birth to her but also thanked her best friend’s mother and the founder of the Gr8 women’s awards, Anu Ranjan. “[She is] a very, very powerful portrayal of a woman. Thank you for inspiring us and thank you for giving me this award,” she said. On being pressed by the host and audience, she also sang her song Ikk Kudi.

Meanwhile, Lindsay Lohan was honoured for her work with children and her success as an actress with a prize for versatile artistry and social service. During her speech, she spoke about the importance of living in a society that recognises the potential of women and their contributions. “I think it’s really important that we really appreciate this moment while we have it and as women, honour the fact that we have such strong men who give us the chance to change other children’s lives.”

The night ended with a performance by 12-year-old singer Mustafa Khan and a fashion show featuring TV presenter Iulia Vantur as the show stopper. While the event definitely had its downfalls, in the form of the hosts scrambling to improvise as the teleprompter stopped working all of a sudden and failed attempts at making some of the celebrities perform on request, it did a good job of celebrating the women being honoured. Now in its seventh year, the Annual Gr8 Women’s Awards is a reminder of the need to recognise the contribution of women in a society that, too often, fails to do so.
source - gulf reader

Edited by blueboy, Yesterday, 1:35 AM.

blueboy

Cha-La Head-Cha-La

• 12094 posts
Attached Image: nyp.jpg

The Federal Trade Commission is cracking down on “influencers” — pop stars, athletes and musicians who promote products on social media without disclosing that they are being paid for their endorsements.

The FTC said Wednesday it had sent some 90 warning letters to influencers and marketers reminding them that they must “clearly and conspicuously disclose their relationship to brands” when paid to promote them on Instagram or other social media.
It marked the first time the FTC has specifically warned the celebrities themselves.

The warnings come in response to a complaint filed last September by Public Citizen and three affiliated watchdog organizations that asked the federal agency to investigate ties between 113 influencers and their products for possible noncompliance with disclosure regulations.

“The ‘influencer’ industry on Instagram represents one of the most prominent and ethically egregious violations of FTC policy,” said the complaint filed by the watchdog groups.

Cosmetics and beauty companies appeared to be among the worst offenders, Public Citizen said in its complaint, but it also questioned fashion houses, footwear makers, alcoholic beverages and energy drinks.

The targets of the complaint included such boldface names as Kim, Khloe and Kourtney Kardashian, Rihanna, Victoria Beckham, Vanessa Hudgens, Lindsay Lohan and Jenny McCarthy.

The FTC would not identify the specific celebrities or the marketers who had received the warning letters.

“In sending the letters, the staff did not predetermine in every instance whether the brand mention was in fact sponsored as opposed to an ­organic mention,” the FTC said.

But if paid, the celebrities were warned that as endorsers they must disclose to consumers that the thumbs-up amount to an advertisement.

Guys also got in on the act, according to Public Citizen, which questioned product mentions by Michael Phelps, LeBron James and Louis Tomlinson.

All the examples were pulled from Instagram accounts, although Public Citizen said it could not determine if all of the examples in its complaint were paid endorsements.

:baaasmiley:  

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users