Change

Malaysian Indian sues UK govt for USD$4 trillion

10 replies to this topic

Mook

One of the Best LL Fans

• 7364 posts
Ok this is nuts. Their current condition in malaysia with security,welfare and economically are far much better than in india and now they want more? Lol; desperate for money :/

KUALA LUMPUR, Sep 11 (IPS) - As Malaysia marked 50 years as an independent nation on Aug. 31, a team of Malaysian lawyers were in London filing a lawsuit against the British government for abandoning minority Indians to the mercy of majoritarian Malay-Muslim rule while granting independence in 1957.

The extraordinary lawsuit backed by the Hindu Rights Action Force or Hindraf, a Hindu grassroots movement that is beginning to win wide support from ethnic Indians here, blames the British colonial government for the many woes the community faces in Malaysia today.

"We were removed by duplicity and force from our villages (in India) and taken to the then Malaya and put to work to clear the forests, plant and harvest rubber and make billions of pounds for British owners," said Malaysian lawyer Waytha Moorthy Ponnusamy who filed the suit in London.

"After a century of slaving for the British, the colonial government withdrew after granting independence and they left us unprotected and at the mercy of a majority Malay-Muslim government that has violated our rights as minority Indians," he told IPS.

The class action suit on behalf of Malaysia's two million ethnic Indians names the current British government as the sole defendant. The claimant demands that the court hold the British colonial authority liable for shipping millions of Tamil-speaking South Indians to Malaya and later abandoning them without adequate safeguards for their position, rights and future.

The suit is demanding one million pounds as compensation for every minority Indian in Malaysia for the "pain, suffering, humiliation, discrimination and continuous colonisation". It also wants the court to declare Malaysia as a secular state and not an Islamic one.

Ponnusamy, who is also Hindraf's chairman, said the majoritarian political rule is backed by a Malay-dominated civil service, police and armed forces which together fail to respect and uphold the basic human rights of ethnic Indians. "Very little opportunities for employment, study and business are offered for minority Indians as compared to the extensive aid created for native Malays," he said.

Most Malaysians are likely to dismiss the suit as a "gimmick" to "shame" the government for trampling on minority Indian rights, but political analysts said there are real grievances underpinning the suit that the Malaysian government ought to address.

‘’The British government is not the proper authority to hear minority problems that are peculiar to Malaysia. Besides Malaysia is an independent country and has been independent for 50 years," said Yap Swee Seng, executive director of SUARAM, a leading rights NGO. "However the suit touches on many problems faced by minority Indians in Malaysia such as lack of opportunities, destruction of Hindu temples, right to an education in their mother tongue and lack of avenues for advancement," he said.

"The Malaysian government must address these issues. Minority Indians are Malaysians and they have a right to a fair share of the national resources," Yap told IPS in an interview. "The suitability of suing London aside, the grievances raised are long-standing and wholly valid and need urgent solutions from the Malaysian government," he said.

The suit also seeks to strike out Article 153 of the Malaysian constitution which provides for Malay special privileges on the grounds that it contravenes the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the International Labour Organisation which bar racial discrimination.

Malay special privileges is an emotive issue in this multi-racial country with non-Malays, who make up about 40 percent of the population, in favour of either ending it or extending affirmative action help to all Malaysians who need it. Chinese and Indians, who began migrating here in the early 19th century, make up 26 percent and 8.0 percent of the population, respectively, of the 27 million population.

In a press statement to local and international media Ponnusamy also said the suit is necessary to draw world attention to the plight of minority Indians.

"The British government cannot detach itself permanently or partially from the many problems it left behind," he said. "It has a moral, legal, social and political responsibility to ensure there existed fair governance throughout her former colonies and any violation of rights must be attended to immediately before it becomes a menace causing an international crisis.’’

"Minority Indians today are the underclass not only in Malaysia but in other former British colonies," he said, adding there was no "mechanism" under the present Malaysian system to remedy the injustice.

Although Malaysia had advanced phenomenally since independence in 1957 the gains have not reached minority Indians who suffer from poverty and marginalisation. Rapid development that uprooted rural Indians, who form about 60 percent of the Indian population, turned many of them into urban squatters.

"They were neglected, abandoned and left to fend for themselves," said cultural historian Eddin Khoo. "The problems of poverty and marginalisation are severe among the Indian underclass."

"I don't want to discuss the merits of the suit but the problems of minority Indians are real and valid and the Malaysian government must attend to it," Khoo said. "They could have filed the suit in London out of sheer desperation at not getting an airing and discussion here," Khoo told IPS. "It shows the situation of the Indian poor is desperate and worsening."

According to government statistics nearly 40 percent of convicted criminals are from the Indian minority. Marginalisation is also reflected in annual university intake which on an average is under 5 percent of the total university intake of over 45,000 annually in 15 public universities.

Nearly half of the 523 Tamil vernacular schools are also not funded by the government and left in a dilapidated condition without basic modern facilities like computers, proper library, sports and recreation facilities and textbooks.

According to Hindraf the percentage of Indians in the civil service fell from 40 percent in 1957 to under 2 percent in 2005.

The suicide rate among Indians is a high 21.1 per thousand in comparison to 8.6 among Chinese and 2.6 for Malays, Hindraf argues.

"Indians predominate as labourers, industrial manual workers, office boys, road sweepers, beggars and squatters," said lawyer and civil rights campaigner P. Uthayakumar. "We want the world to sit up and see our plight and bring pressure on the Malaysian government," he said.

links:
-http://www.ipsnews.org/wap/news.asp?idnews=39221

Heavens Smile

Sucker Repellent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1173 posts
  • Name:Andre (32)
Assasinate all that sue Britain!
theres a hole in the world like a great black pit...and the vermin of the world inhabit it...
and its morals arent worth what a pig could spit...and it goes by the name of London

Wolverine1980

Weapon X

• 9525 posts
  • Name:Levi (37)
The lawsuit is frivolous and maybe a little unfounded but I don't think that's the right attitude to take when reacting here. :mellow:
Posted Image

R.I.P. Chris Henry

Cecil

A Super-Devoted LL Fan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Name:Cecil
Heard that a common joke in Malaysia, is that the Chinese do the hard work, the Malays take the credit, and the Indians get the blame :D

Mook

One of the Best LL Fans

• 7364 posts
Lol, where did you heard that? I never heard of it? :P

Cecil

A Super-Devoted LL Fan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

View Postmook, on Dec 5 2007, 09:14 AM, said:

Lol, where did you heard that? I never heard of it? :P

We Singaporeans know alot of nitty gritty about your country. B)

Mook

One of the Best LL Fans

• 7364 posts
Oh, no wonder! You're singaporean. Just to let you know, We Malaysian know alot of nitty gritty about your country too :P Naah just kiding. Reading your post just showed that we neighbours like to backstab each other :/ That's what I think.

Malaysia's police fire tear gas, water cannon on ethnic Indian demonstrators
By JULIA ZAPPEI
Associated Press

Malaysian police fired tear gas and water cannon Sunday to disperse thousands of ethnic Indians who tried to stage a rally that had been banned amid government accusations that its organizers were stirring racial hatred.

Witnesses claimed dozens of demonstrators were beaten and arrested.

At least 5,000 people gathered before dawn near Kuala Lumpur's famous Petronas Twin Towers, in a rare attempt by Malaysia's ethnic Indian minority to highlight complaints that they are economically marginalized by the ethnic Malay Muslim-dominated government.

Thousands of others massed in Batu Caves, a limestone cave Hindu temple on the city's outskirts, hoping to join the others in a march to the British High Commission to protest how ethnic Indians have remained largely poor since British colonial rule.

Authorities fired tear gas and chemical-laced water at the crowds in both areas, said P. Uthayakumar, a senior representative of the Hindu Rights Action Force, a non-government group that organized the rally.

"Police went into Batu Caves and beat many innocent people," Uthayakumar said, adding that more than 100 people have been detained.

Police officers outside the Petronas towers confirmed that tear gas and water cannon were used.

Thousands of people regrouped later near the towers in a standoff with hundreds of police, who used water cannon again on the crowd. Shoes and slippers were scattered in the area and flower pots were broken after people fled the scene earlier.

An Associated Press reporter saw about a dozen people taken away in a police truck.

Police had obtained an unprecedented court order forbidding the public from rallying outside the British High Commission, and warned that protesters could be arrested on sight. Three of the Hindu group's leaders were arrested and charged in court with sedition Friday.

Deputy Prime Minister Najib Razak indicated Saturday that the rally's organizers had "given seditious speeches that arouse the anger of the other races."

"They can speak up but cannot break the law," the national news agency Bernama quoted Najib as saying. "If their speeches are seditious and instigative and can spark racial clashes, legal action will be taken against them."

Ethnic Indians, mainly Hindus, form about 8 percent of Malaysia's 27 million people. Activists claim that more than two-thirds of them live in poverty, partly because they are deprived of opportunities due to affirmative action policies that favor Malays.

Sunday's rally is meant to support a US$4 trillion (�2.7 trillion) lawsuit filed by the Hindu group in London in August, demanding that Britain compensate Malaysian Indians for bringing their ancestors here as "indentured laborers" and exploiting them.

The Malaysian government has rejected allegations of unfair discrimination.

The rally was the second protest in Kuala Lumpur this month. Police fired tear gas and water cannons to disperse activists Nov. 10 at an opposition-backed rally that drew thousands of people demanding electoral reforms.

No wonder my mum forbidden me to go to KL street except malls :( I really want to go to that Art market

Edited by mook, December 05 2007, 2:34 PM.

Cecil

A Super-Devoted LL Fan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

View Postmook, on Dec 5 2007, 09:33 AM, said:

Oh, no wonder! You're singaporean. Just to let you know, We Malaysian know alot of nitty gritty about your country too :P Naah just kiding. Reading your post just showed that we neighbours like to backstab each other :/ That's what I think.
No wonder my mum forbidden me to go to KL street except malls :( I really want to go to that Art market

Saw on TV that opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim spoke out in support for the Indians.
What do u think bout that guy?

Mook

One of the Best LL Fans

• 7364 posts
Er, I went to his house a few years back, lol I don't know much about him, but I heard his a good man :unsure: lol

I didn't know he supports this case? Being violent just showed how pathetic those Indians are. I mean their actions that had to make the police hurt many innocent people.

Cecil

A Super-Devoted LL Fan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
Yah the Indians went overboard by demonstrating and causing public disorder.
But they probably tried other peaceful means to get their message across, but felt dissatisfied with the results.
Thats why they became desperate and went out into the streets to protest.

Btw, Anwar was charged for sodomy and corruption in the past, but claims it was a govt. conspiracy which set him up.

Mook

One of the Best LL Fans

• 7364 posts
Hahah, many people said the government set him up :/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users